Take a look at what our MicrobiotaMi speakers have published recently and chat with them about their work in Milan.
We are using bacteria to successfully exploit antigen presentation and to develop new ways to target tumor antigens into dendritic cells.Maria Rescigno — Group Leader Mucosal immunology and microbiota Unit
– CX3CR1+ mononuclear phagocytes control immunity to intestinal fungi.
Science. 2018 Jan 12;359(6372):232-236. doi: 10.1126/science.aao1503.
– Organ-specific protection mediated by cooperation between vascular and epithelial barriers.
Nat Rev Immunol. 2017 Dec;17(12):761-773. doi: 10.1038/nri.2017.100. Epub 2017 Sep 4.
Regulation of gut homeostasis: Biological functions are initiated through the elicitation and receipt of signals: mechanical, chemical or biological.Sven Pettersson — Professor
– Our Gut Microbiome: The Evolving Inner Self.
Cell. 2017 Dec 14;171(7):1481-1493. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2017.11.024.
– Microbiome Influences Prenatal and Adult Microglia in a Sex-Specific Manner.
Cell. 2018 Jan 25;172(3):500-516.e16. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2017.11.042. Epub 2017 Dec 21.
Dr. Nunez’s work on bacteria that invade the gut focuses on competition between the naturally occurring, or commensal, bacteria that live in the intestinal tract, and invading pathogens.Gabriel Nunez — Co-Director, Immunology and Host Response Program Experimental Pathology
– Role of the microbiota in skin immunity and atopic dermatitis.
Allergol Int. 2017 Oct;66(4):539-544. doi: 10.1016/j.alit.2017.08.004. Epub 2017 Sep 4.
– Gut microbiota: Role in pathogen colonization, immune responses, and inflammatory disease.
Immunol Rev. 2017 Sep;279(1):70-89. doi: 10.1111/imr.12567.
Physio/pathlogical significance of glyco- sphingolipids. Exploration of various diseases including diabetes, allergy and hearing loss as membrane microdomain (raft) disorders. Molecular biology of glycosyltransferases.Jin-ichi Inokuchi — Professor
– Gangliosides and hearing.
Biochim Biophys Acta. 2017 Oct;1861(10):2485-2493. doi: 10.1016/j.bbagen.2017.05.025. Epub 2017 May 30.
– Identification of a new B4GalNAcT1 (GM2/GD2/GA2 synthase) isoform, and regulation of enzyme stability and intracellular transport by arginine-based motif.
Biochim Biophys Acta. 2017 Oct;1859(10):2001-2011. doi: 10.1016/j.bbamem.2017.07.006. Epub 2017 Jul 12.
His major research interests are in the field of host-microbial interactions, mucosal immunology, bacterial infection and immunity, intestinal-health related research.Jerry M. Wells — Chair of the Host-Microbe Interactions Group
– Dietary protein sources differentially affect microbiota, mTOR activity and transcription of mTOR signaling pathways in the small intestine.
PLoS One. 2017 Nov 17;12(11):e0188282. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0188282. eCollection 2017.
– Prebiotic potential of pectin and pectic oligosaccharides to promote anti-inflammatory commensal bacteria in the human colon.
FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2017 Nov 1;93(11). doi: 10.1093/femsec/fix127.
Specialties: Crohns Disease, Immunodeficiency, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Ulcerative ColitisScott Snapper — Director, Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center and Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
– Clinical and Genomic Correlates of Neutrophil Reactive Oxygen Species Production in Pediatric Patients with Crohn’s Disease.
Gastroenterology. 2018 Feb 15. pii: S0016-5085(18)30210-5. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2018.02.016. [Epub ahead of print]
– ADAMTS13 Deficiency Worsens Colitis and Exogenous ADAMTS13 Administration Decreases Colitis Severity in Mice.
TH Open. 2017 Jun;1(1):e11-e23. doi: 10.1055/s-0037-1603927.
Mechanisms that link tumor suppression and the development of cancer to aging and the major diseases associated with agingJudith Campisi — PhD, Professor
– Small-molecule MDM2 antagonists attenuate the senescence-associated secretory phenotype.
Sci Rep. 2018 Feb 5;8(1):2410. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-20000-4.
– Cellular Senescence Is Induced by the Environmental Neurotoxin Paraquat and Contributes to Neuropathology Linked to Parkinson’s Disease.
Cell Rep. 2018 Jan 23;22(4):930-940. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2017.12.092. Epub 2018 Jan 28.
Cavalieri’s main interest is the role of microorganisms in self sustainability of fundamental ecosystem services (here), with a focus on the evolution of regulatory networks shaping host microbe-interactions, in health and disease.Duccio Cavalieri — Professor
– Microbiota and environmental stress: how pollution affects microbial communities in Manila clams.
Aquat Toxicol. 2018 Jan;194:195-207. doi: 10.1016/j.aquatox.2017.11.019. Epub 2017 Nov 27.
– SaccharomycesIDentifier, SID: strain-level analysis of Saccharomyces cerevisiae populations by using microsatellite meta-patterns.
Sci Rep. 2017 Nov 10;7(1):15343. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-15729-3.
The goal of our study is to understand the biological significance as well as the molecular machinery of barrier on the mucosal surface.Hiroshi Kiyono — Head of Division of Mucosal Immunology
– Characterization of morphological conversions of Helicobacter pylori under anaerobic conditions.
Microbiol Immunol. 2018 Feb 15. doi: 10.1111/1348-0421.12582. [Epub ahead of print]
– Lymphoid tissue-resident Alcaligenes LPS induces IgA production without excessive inflammatory responses via weak TLR4 agonist activity.
Mucosal Immunol. 2018 Feb 7. doi: 10.1038/mi.2017.103. [Epub ahead of print]